Few people know that acid reflux disease does not cause heartburn and transient discomfort, it also leads to a sore throat. Pharyngitis because of acid reflux disease is an important disease and is troublesome to treat if not diagnosed.
1. Overview of Acid reflux
Acid reflux disease (GERD) is a phenomenon in which the contents of the stomach back up into the esophagus and throat, leading to heartburn, belching, and chest pain along the breastbone.
Overage, reflux causes irritation of the esophageal lining, causing it to become inflamed. This is one of the principal causes of upper respiratory illnesses including inflammation/swelling/pain in the throat, laryngitis, which can long lead to complications such as bad breath, real stenosis. esophagus, esophageal ulcer, precancerous esophagus …
Therefore, it is the stomach medicines recommended by the doctor in the ear, nose, and throat, which wolves help get rid of a painful throat, larynx from the root cause.
2. Distinguish common sore throat and painful throat from Acid Reflux
We confuse common pharyngitis and reflux pharyngitis are.
Besides the common symptoms of the sore throat including dry throat, painful eyes, itching, and throat troubles.
Pharyngitis because of acid reflux disease is also characterized by manifestations such as
- Alcoholic locusts
- Burning in the chest
- Indigestion, flatulence, persistent hiccups, heartburn, nausea …
However, there are quite many people who do not have reflux symptoms or sometimes just feel choking, entanglement in the throat, chest tightness or hoarseness when they speak and talk a lot.
If you feel your body is showing unusual signs, go to the clinic early for an accurate diagnosis, avoiding arbitrary treatment.
3. Treatment and preventive measures against sore throat
- Medicines to loosen mucus such as bromhexine, acetylcysteine …
- Anti-inflammatory drugs: alpha-chymotrypsin, lysozyme …
- Antiallergic drugs: antihistamines such as cetirizine, chlorpheniramine …
- Cough medicines: herbs
Treating the cause of stomach reflux
However, chronic reflux pharyngitis requires treatment from the cause of reflux. Some factors that can cause gastroesophageal reflux disease may be the use of oily foods, the use of carbonated soft drinks, or the use of coffee, tea, or cigarettes by the patient. reflux state. Medications to treat reflux syndrome include:
- Antacids: influences neutralizing gastric acid. used drugs are: aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide
- H2-receptor antagonists: H2 antihistamines reduce acid secretion such as cetirizine, chlorpheniramine …
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs): Best acid secretion inhibitors: omeprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole … often suitable for reflux – larynx.
However, long-term use of the drug will lead to a reduction in stomach acid, poorer digestion of food, and a bloated stomach causing the opposite effect on the lower esophageal sphincter, so reflux can still occur. Therefore, only medication to overcome temporary reflux will not be a long-term treatment. when the disease is severe, or we have dealt patients with for a long time but it is not sufficient, surgery is Surgery helps create a new valve in the center of the myocardium to prevent gastric juice and food from reaching the esophagus and throat.
- Avoid foods that irritate the mucosa, such as alcoholic beverages, carbonated drinks.
- Limit overeating for a while, before going to bed for 2 hours, you should also limit eating and drinking, so lie on the top of the bed to prevent food from being pushed into the esophagus tube.
- Minimize tobacco use and control weight. Patients should also refrain from wearing clothes that are too tight to facilitate the digestion of food.
In addition to sore throat, gastroesophageal reflux also causes a number of dangerous health complications such as acid reflux into the esophagus, which can lead to hoarseness, laryngitis, esophageal bleeding, ulcers esophagus, esophageal stenosis, esophageal cancer …
Heartburn No More – Home remedies for acid reflux